Monday, May 25, 2009

Cavalier IDPA 5/24/09

I feel the side match we have at Cavalier on the 24th is as pretty close to the "Spirit" of IDPA as we can come or as I can anyway. I think the stages (5, 6, 8, 9 rounders)were as realistic as any I have shot ( more realistic than most State or larger matches). No targets were added to boost the round count, I actually removed some targets. This being said a tweak here and there could have made it better.

After reading the most recent Tactical Journal (IDPA magazine to it's members), watching various YouTube videos from other IDPA clubs across the country and having frank discussions with shooters and Safety Officers I've come to the conclusion that Cavalier has been to "gamey" and maybe I have too! I cannot blame the rank and file shooters for this or the way they shoot my courses of fire. So the courses must change.

Anyway the courses we shot on the 24th were all based is a realistic scenario or based on a skill I thought was practical. Stage 1 from behind the barricade made you change sides of cover and go from high to low thereby ( at least in my head) making the bad guys guess were you were going to pop out from next to engage them. Otherwise they just wait for you to stick your head out and BANG!

Stage 2 was an effort to make people move faster and shoot, originally it was going to be a 5 second par time but I wussed out on that. Two targets with 2 rounds each while moving to cover where you have to engage a plate. Most folks did it under five seconds.

Stage 3 I read about in the American Rifleman Magazine. Store owner was robbed and the bad guys took him to the back room to open the safe and he had a gun hidden! You can guess the rest!

Stage 4 was my attempt to get away from drawing the gun on a bad guy who was already to close. You answer you front door with gun already drawn but hidden under a newspaper were you are confronted by a non-threat and a bad guy directly behind them. Engage him, move to cover and there are two more bad guys to get from the cover of your doorway.


Let's see what the future holds!

Andy
CAVIDPA

4 comments:

Oberstlt said...

My only problem, other than the obnoxious ravings of the AMD - something I have come to expect, with the side match was that I should have liked to have had more strings of fire! I even shot it with a small BUG that I actually carry.

I did not classify because I did not have either the time, money or need. I had to go to work, am retired and as there is not major IDPA match on the horizon, I passed until the fall. This retirement thing is not all that it is cracked up to be.

If I might recommend, when you set up the strings and stages, you might have a scenario available that explains why the gun is in the box for instance. Nothing elaborate but some background would be nice.

Have you considered replacing the ideologically pure AMD yet? He is not right and would argue with a wooden indian. Maybe we can get him a tactical ted to argue with!

Anonymous said...

The side match stages were well thought out(though I didn't shoot). For those of us that carry pocket guns it's nice to be able to shoot them in a match since you didn't have to start from the holster. Had I thought ahead I would have shot it with my keltec .380.
In between matches and other commitments I doubt many idpa shooters get to practice true defensive shooting as often as they should. Though IDPA is not supposed to be a substitute for that, the closer you can get the better.
adam s

Unknown said...

Just a view from another planet.

IDPA is a game despite the thought of many that it is some form of tactical training. If you think shooting IDPA will improve your chances in a lethal encounter, good luck to you. I personally don't plan for lethal encounters, train for them, or think about them.

IDPA is the vehicle that got me involved in competitive shooting. Those of you who have shot some of the matches I have designed can easily see that I approach match design to challenge the shooter to be fast and accurate while shooting from some interesting positions. I think stages ought to have movement, multiple shooting positions, and more than one solution.

Most of us tend to think that an expensive pistol is an instant ticket to the next level, but it is not. I do believe that shooting a big, challenging match like Black Creek has a lot to do with improvement. With 12 stages and over 150 rounds, the large matches take the luck out of the game and the best shooters whose equipment works are at the top of the leaderboard.

Much is made over pistols, but I can say that my best pistol is a near stock (sights) Glock 17 (Generation 1). At the end of the day it is the archer not the arrow that makes the difference.

Ammo downloading is the major area of cheating in IDPA and every other action pistol sport. But as long as the Power Factor is met, the rules are not broken.

For me the ideal stage has multiple positions, reloads (and not just slide lock reloads), hard shots, more no-shoots than targets, distance, and options.

Best regards and keep shooting,

Jim
Kuwait

Glock26idpa said...

I can't disagree with anything you have said! Except that IDPA won't help you in a lethal encounter, I think getting to know how to shoot a gun (especially one you carry if you choose to carry) would help in a scenario where you would be armed. Not just IDPA either, USPSA, Bullseye, PPC.... at least you have an idea of site alignment and trigger pull.

I apreciate the difference in the clubs in the area!

Andy